Julia Roberts’ Banana Hemp Seed Muffins
The day I was fortunate to meet Julia Roberts, I was instantly struck by her effortless beauty. I have long admired her healthy, natural California lifestyle, and these banana muffins exemplify everything that inspires me about Julia. I mean, how can you not love that one of the most famous women in the world takes the time to bake these healthful muffins for her children? Unbelievably delicious and moist, these are the perfect way to start your morning. They’re pumped up with Omega-rich hemp hearts and flaxseed and, for good measure, antioxidant-rich, crunchy chia seeds. Coconut sugar lends a deeper note of sweetness, and the coconut oil adds a slightly toastiness you’ll notice in the finished product.
Julia Roberts' Banana Hemp Seed Muffins
- 1 ⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp hemp hearts, plus ¼ cup for sprinkling
- 4 tsp ground flax meal
- 2 tsp white or black chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cup cupcake pan, or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, then whisk in the hemp, flax and chia seeds.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the bananas, both sugars, oil and eggs. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture in two additions, beating until blended after each addition.
- Divide the batter among the wells of the prepared pan and sprinkle each muffin generously with 1 teaspoon of hemp hearts. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool completely.
If you make this recipe tag me @candacenelson for a chance to be featured on my stories